The Isidor Todoran Doctoral School of Theology, belonging to Babeș-Bolyai University in Cluj-Napoca, offers students a comprehensive theological education (across all three levels of study), addressing the needs of the present world. From an administrative standpoint, the Faculty of Orthodox Theology has a relatively recent history, being reestablished after 1989, as part of the general program for the rehabilitation of religious education. The Isidor Todoran Doctoral School of Theology, included in the list of Doctoral Schools at UBB, traces its origins back to 1994. The first professor was Father Prof. Dr. Ioan I. Ică Sr., transferred from the “Lucian Blaga” University in Sibiu, with 10 doctoral students according to Order No. 3854/1995 of the Ministry of Education (having the right to supervise doctoral studies since 1984). In 1996, the first doctoral admission examination in Theology was organized at the Faculty of Orthodox Theology in Cluj-Napoca. In 1998, the first doctoral thesis defense took place at the Faculty of Orthodox Theology in Cluj-Napoca (Archdeacon Lecturer Ioan I. Ică Jr.) –
Until 1999, according to the legislation in force at the time, doctoral education functioned with full-time professors from the University of Bucharest. Thus, the following professors also taught in Cluj-Napoca:
- Father Prof. Dr. Dumitru Radu: Moral Theology, Asceticism, and Social Ethics, Prof. Dr. Emilian Popescu: History of the Romanian Orthodox Church and Byzantinology.
- In 2001, Prof. Dr. Emilian Popescu, a consulting professor, transferred from the Faculty of Orthodox Theology in Bucharest to the Faculty of Orthodox Theology in Cluj-Napoca as a doctoral supervisor (having the right to supervise doctoral studies since 1978), where he worked until 2002 when he transferred to the Faculty of Orthodox Theology “Dumitru Stăniloae” at “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University in Iași.
- Father Prof. Dr. Nicu Moldoveanu: Church Music and Ritual Since 1999.
The following full-time faculty members at the Faculty of Orthodox Theology in Cluj-Napoca became doctoral supervisors:
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Alexandru Moraru, specialization: History of the Romanian Orthodox Church with notions of Paleography (Order No. 4189/9, August 1999);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Ioan-Vasile Leb, specialization: Universal Church History (Order No. 3982/11 June 2001);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Vasile Stanciu, specialization: Church Music and Ritual (Order No. 4308/28 August 2002);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Stelian Tofană, specialization: Biblical Studies and Exegesis of the New Testament (Order No. 4110/5 June 2003);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Valer Bel, specialization: Missiology and Ecumenism (Order No. 4629/7 September 2004);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Ioan Chirilă, specialization: Biblical Theology of the Old Testament with notions of Biblical Archaeology and Classical Hebrew Language (Order No. 1071/15 May 2007);
- Archimandrite Prof. Dr. Teofil (Cristian) Tia, specialization: Pastoral Theology (Order No. 166/7 April 2014);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Ștefan Iloaie, specialization: Christian Ethics (Order No. 378/15 July 2014);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Gabriel-Viorel Gârdan, specialization: Universal Church History (Order No. 3466/22 March 2018);
- Rev. Associate Prof. Dr. Patriciu-Dorin Vlaicu, specialization: Canon Law and Church Administration (Order No. 3462/22 March 2018).
- Rev. Associate Prof. Dr. Cristian-Sebastian Sonea, specialization: Missiology and Ecumenism;
- Associate Prof. Dr. Nicolae Turcan, specializatioin: Apologetics and Fundamental Theology (Order No. 5843/16 October 2020);
- Deacon Lect. Dr. Stelian Pașca-Tușa, specialization: Old Testament.
Transfers/affiliations to the Isidor Todoran Doctoral School of Orthodox Theology in Cluj-Napoca:
- His Grace Prof. Dr. Ioan (Andrei) Andreicuț, specialization: Orthodox Christian Spirituality (who was granted the status of “doctoral supervisor” by Order No. 5364/6 October 2010 at the Faculty of Orthodox Theology of “1 Decembrie 1918” University in Alba Iulia), transferred to Cluj-Napoca in 2012;
- Father Prof. Dr. Vasile Gordon, specialization: Homiletics and Catechetics (who was granted the status of “doctoral supervisor” by Order No. 4807/17 August 2005 at the Faculty of Orthodox Theology “Justinian Patriarch” of the University of Bucharest), transferred to Cluj-Napoca in 2013.
In 2007, according to the new legislation in force, the Doctoral School of the Faculty of Orthodox Theology in Cluj-Napoca was established in its current form, named after Father Professor Isidor Todoran. Directors:
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Alexandru Moraru (2007-2012);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Ioan-Vasile Leb (2012-2017);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Teofil Tia (2017-2020, mandate ceased upon being elected Dean of the Faculty of Orthodox Theology);
- Rev. Prof. Dr. Vasile Stanciu (2020).
The Secretariat of the Doctoral School has been provided by Dr. Teodora-Ilinca Mureșanu since 2012.